Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Like a kid in a candy store...(Part two)

As if these two visits from the post man were not enough, I also got a couple of other unexpected surprises.  A friend of mine had gotten interested in playing Warhammer 40k a number of years ago.  I agreed to paint up an army of his choosing.  He didn't have a huge preference and wanted something that a newcomer could play fairly easily and that I would be interested in painting.  We agreed on starting a Nurgle Chaos army.  I painted up the first unit of plague marines and a chaos lord and things stalled out on both ends.  He never got into it, and I quickly discovered how difficult painting an army could be!  I found a tutorial online about magnetizing the rhinos and assigned him the task of magnetizing the various doors and hatches.  This past weekend he gave it back to me with the magnets in place!  He did an outstanding job on it.  I'll need to assemble it and glue it, but it's finally magnetized.


 
Finally, to top it off, I received my plinth from Model Display Products that I was fortunate enough to win for the May/June Facebook page for Figure Painter Magazine.  Martyn Dorey runs the shop there and does an outstanding job.  I've ordered from him before and, in my experience, the service has been top notch.  He communicates very well and gets your items out quickly.  If there is going to be a delay, even for a few days, he'll let you know.  He sells plinths, of course, but also stocks his own line of miniatures called War Griffon Miniatures, which are larger scale (54mm and up) as well as busts.  There also a couple of other lines as well.  He also has a wide range of accessory products for your gaming and miniature needs including but not limited to pigments, Silflor/Mininatur, Vallejo water effects, and magnetic sheets for basing.  Have a look at http://www.modeldisplayproducts.co.uk/.
 
Martyn was also kind enough to toss in one of his display bases on the right.  It is a nice little base of stonework stairs.  Both the plinth and the base are made of resin and are really quite nice.  Solid, very sturdy pieces with no air bubbles I could see.  Quality!  Thanks again for the plinth and the base, Martyn!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment