Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Chaos Cultist WIP #6

As planned, I was able to get some addition work done on the trench coat.  I continue to be frustrated by my photography on this guy, but I think you can tell that I did something on him :). This week I hope to get the skulls and hook done.  Then will come the fun part--weathering and some (hopefully) good looking freehand!  I'll be celebrating Thanksgiving with the family this week, but should get some time in to paint.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Cultist WIP #5 with a short tutorial

I hope everyone had a good week.  I've continued to plug away on the cultist.  I had a conversation with one of our local painter in facebook regarding rust, so I churned out a brief tutorial on how I was rusting the gun. First, the overall progress at this point:

As you can see, the majority of the areas are blocked in, with various stages of completion.  The hook and the skulls are not started and, although it is hard to tell, the pants aren't either.  They are so overshadowed by the stance of the miniature as well as the coat, that I don't think it will matter too terribly much what color I choose.
For the rusting on the metallics, I did the basecoat in VMA Gunmetal. I really like the VMA metallics and they are my favorite silver/steel metallics of everything I've tried. Next step is a quick wash of the old GW Devlan Mud. I think if you were looking for something super quick and more of a well used metal, you could stop here. The first step in the rusting is RMS Dark Skin dabbed on randomly. I went pretty light with it here, but you could go heavier if you were doing an older rust. Next is the workhorse of the rust effect, RMS Rust Brown. Applied it again randomly and rather heavy, concentrating in the recessed areas. The following pic was some RMS Clear Orange with a little bit of the Rust Brown added to tone it down just a bit. Definitely could stop here for an older, less used look. The final pic it I reapplied the orange a little more and then gently went back and dry brushed a little of the VMC gunmetal again to simulate areas where the rust had been knocked off. All in all, it's a relatively quick process (at least for the speed at which I paint...).

This week's goal will be to begin work on the coat.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Chaos cultist WIP #4

First and foremost, congratulations to all the winners at Monte San Savino over the weekend.  Rusto took the BoS this year.  I'm  looking forward to seeing the photos over the coming week.

This week was once again saw limited painting, but I got a nice start on the leather on the cultist and have done some weathering on the shoulder straps.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Chaos WIP #3 and Kristianna's Base

Got a bit more done on the cultist and essentially completed the gaming base for Kristianna.

The trench coat is just based at this point.  I've weathered the metallics on the backpack and done some preliminary work on the blacks of the rifle and backpack.  It was initially based with straight black.  I have added some RMS Stormy Gray for preliminary highlighting, but will take it up considerably to white or nearly so for the edging. I'm pleased with the start of the symbol of Nurgle on the hood, although this is just a warm up.  I need to clean it up a bit, but I don't think it needs to be perfect--this is Nurgle and this is chaos!  I'll also start the weathering of the hood, which will add to it.  The blood splatters will be added once the model is finished.  Tamiya Clear Red is awesome stuff, but if you varnish over it, the effect really gets lost.  I'll likely do something more elaborate on the trench coat one I get it shaded/highlighted to my satisfaction.

The gaming base was a bit of cork with the front edges trimmed back with pliers, some scattered dirt along the those edges to "smooth" out the cork and a few pieces of static grass clumps from Army Painter.  The red flowers help to "tie" the model to the base and are Grass Tufts with Blossoms from Noch.