Thursday, May 16, 2013

Painting AND sculpting

Ok, while technically true, not so much.  I'm not sure if smashing a blob of GS into a CSM's belly and rolling little tiny tentacles counts as sculpting or if nearly completing a set of eyeballs and getting some basecoats down really qualifies, but I'm taking it.

I've nearly finished the champion...just need to decide if he needs a winged backpack or a bladed one...

 
 
I've also thrown just a bit of paint on an old school goblin from Mannequin miniatures.  I apologize for the poor picture.  Much of him is just basecoated with a bit of shading on the skin and jerkin.  The eyes are close to being done.  Yes, his gaze is a bit off, but I think that might be useful in goblins and perhaps even attractive :).  The boots are coming along as well.  Need some smoothing and perhaps a bit stronger highlighting, but getting there.  Since I frequently paint in this way (basecoating entirely, or nearly so before moving on), instead of completing one section at a time, this is the stage often referred to miniature painting as the a&% stage.  The plan is for it to steadily improve from this point on.  Most of the time that happens, but not always...
 
 
 
On the convention front, the inaugural of the CMoN Expo is this weekend.  Should be interesting to see how that goes.  The CMoN boys have brought in some big guns (Jen Hailey, Mike McVey, and James Wappel).  I'm looking forward to seeing what the turnout will be on the tail of the Adepticon, ReaperCon, and MCFA shows in the US and with GenCon yet to come.  Hopefully, there will be plenty of pictures as well.  Here's the linky: http://cmonexpo.com/
 
And last, but certainly not least, I would like to thank Avicenna for joining me on my little adventure!  He is a world class painter, nabbing BiS at Salute in 2011 with an amazing rendition of Wolf the barbarian.  He followed this with a gold at the 2012 Crystal Brush!  His most recent accomplishment was a prestigious nod from the editors over at Putty and Paint this past April.  His work can be found at http://www.jollybodgers.com/.


No comments:

Post a Comment